You know the saying “What did you do Friday night?” Well our big Great Pyrenees decided to get sprayed by a skunk at 10:30 at night. FUN, FUN!!!
All dog owners should know how to handle their dog getting sprayed – just in case. You may have heard of skunk odor remedies like tomato juice or vinegar, but they really just cover up the odor. Products like Nature’s Miracle Skunk Odor Remover have been known to work, but may be hard to find in a pinch. You can remove the odor from your dog using household items. Skunk spray is very oily and contains sulfur (hence the stench). This recipe causes a chemical reaction that breaks up the oils and neutralizes the odor.
Time Required: 30-60 minutes
1. As soon as you realize your dog has been sprayed by a skunk, use some rubber or latex gloves and old clothes and look her over for bites or scratches. Also check her eyes for redness or discharge. If any injuries are found, you should contact your veterinarian before proceeding.
2. Time is of the essence here – the longer you wait to begin the process, the harder it will be to remove the stench. Get set up for bathing your dog outdoors or in an easy to clean area of your home (laundry room, bathroom, etc). If indoors, open a window to save your nose!
3. Apply a small strip of eye lubricant (such as Puralube) or 1-2 drops of mineral oil to your dog’s eyes. This will help protect the eyes in case any of the solution splashes or drips in.
4. In the plastic container, combine
1 quart hydrogen peroxide
1/4 cup baking soda
1 to 2 teaspoons of liquid soap
30 drops Young Living grapefruit essential oil
30 drops Young Living Melaleuca “tea tree” oil
30 drops Young Living lavender oil
30 drop Young Living clove oil
Add lukewarm water if needed (for larger dogs). Mix ingredients well. The solution will fizz, as a chemical reaction is occurring. Use immediately – do not store.
5. Do not soak your dog with water prior to bathing. Promptly begin cleansing the affected areas thoroughly, massaging the solution deep into your dog’s coat. You may wish to use a sponge or washcloth. Avoid getting the solution in the eyes, ears or mouth.
6. Allow the solution to remain on your dog for at least five minutes (longer if strong odor persists).
7. Rinse your dog well with lukewarm water. Repeat steps 3-5 as necessary until odor is gone.
8. Dry your dog well and give her a treat!
This worked wonderfully!!!! The skunk smell is gone 🙂 Dozer is allowed back in the house.
I Hope you have a nice Day!
I’m here for you!!
Plant Your Dreams and Miracles Will Grow!!!