RABBIT 4-H SHOWMANSHIP
1. The Youth Livestock Show-Rabbit Showmanship contest will have primary (ages 8-10), Junior (ages 11-13) and Senior (ages 14 & up) classes with first, second and third place awarded in each class. You must be 8 years old by September 1 of the current 4-H year to participate in this contest. The showmanship contest will immediately follow the Rabbit Show.
2. Scores: 90-100 Blue Ribbon, 80-89 Red Ribbon, 70-79 White Ribbon and 69 or below Green Ribbon. Primary: The Primary Showmanship contest will be for ages 8-10 and you must be 8 years old by September 1 of the current 4-H year. For your presentation the judge will ask you to demonstrate each of the steps.
Junior: The Junior Showmanship Contest will be for ages 11-13. You should prepare a presentation of 3-5 minutes in which you do all the required moves in order with a simple explanation of what you are looking for. You should be able to answer questions about the parts of a rabbit, the breed of your rabbit and general questions on feed, grooming and care.
Senior: The Senior Showmanship Contest will be for ages 14 & up. You should prepare a presentation of 3-5 minutes in which you do all the required moves in order with an explanation of what you are looking for and a detailed description of a disease, injury or defect that can affect the ears, eyes, teeth, nose and hocks. You should be able to answer questions about the parts of a rabbit,
the breed of your rabbit and general questions on feed, grooming, care and diseases.
Rabbit Showmanship Score Card
Rabbit showmanship is quite different from that of other animal species. Rabbit showmanship involves examining an animal as a judge would do in competition. Each step that a youth forgets to complete is counted against their overall score. Appearance of the exhibitor and their knowledge are two other areas important in this competition.
Required Dress Code: All exhibitors will be in 4-H or FFA official dress. They are to be clean, neat, and dressed in black jean, slacks or skirt with a solid white collared shirt, with 4-H or FFA jackets and accessories. No hats or caps allowed. Closed-toed shoes or boots are required.
The following is a list of actions exhibitors must perform in the showmanship class:
Appearance and Actions of Showman 10 points
a. Clean and neatly dresses
b. Natural, graceful actions
c. Good eye contact
Appearance of Animal 5 points
a. Clean condition and healthy
b. Free from major defects and deformities
Examination of Rabbit
a. With the rabbit in sitting position 10 points
1. Check ears for mites, tattoo, and tears
2. Examine fur for fur mites
3. Run hands over body & check for blemishes
4. Examine the fur quality and color
b. With the rabbit on its back 35 points
1. Properly and safely flip the rabbit over
2. Check the eyes for blindness, white spots, proper color and diseases
3. Check the nose for snuffles
4. Check the teeth for broken, missing, malocclusion or simple malocclusion
5. Check the Front 5 toes and toenails for broken, missing or mis-colored
6. Check the Front legs for straightness and signs of broken bones
7. Check the Back 4 toes and toenails for broken, missing or mis-colored
8. Check Back legs for signs of broken bones
9. Check the vent area for disease & sex (examine bucks for missing testicles)
10. Check tail for straightness and signs of broken bone
11. Run hand down entire abdomen looking for blemishes
c. Completing the examination 10 points
1. Properly pose the rabbit for its specific breed
2. Smooth down fur
3. Make sure the tail is carried properly
Knowledge of Animal Project 30 points
a. Answer general knowledge questions
b. Answer breed specific questions
TOTAL POINTS 100 POINTS
Scores: 90-100 Blue Ribbon, 80-89 Red Ribbon, 70-79 White Ribbon and 69 or below Green Ribbon.
Preparation for this contest is like any other. Practicing with your rabbit ahead of time will earn you more points
on the day of the contest. Use an animal that is familiar with the procedures described, not an unruly one. Also,
read up on rabbit information in the American Rabbit Breeders Association’s Standard of Perfection
Don’t forget to join our Blog. Sign up below!
Hope you have a nice day!
Plant your dream and Miracles Will Grow!